Seared Scallops with Tequila Cilantro Cream
Cooks in Serves 4
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus 4 sprigs for garnish
- 12 large sea scallops
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup reposado tequila
- ½ cup shelled green peas
- Pour the cream and chopped cilantro into a blender and blend until fairly smooth. Set aside.
- Remove any small muscular membranes on the side of the scallops. Pat dry and senor with a little salt and pepper. Heat a 10-inch stainless-steel skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and then the butter. Swirl the pan around to distribute the mixture. Quickly and carefully add the scallops one at a time and let them brown undisturbed, about 1 minute. Peek under one or two to make sure they’re ready, then, using tongs, turn them over and brown the other side for another minute. Be careful not to overcook them.
- Transfer the scallops to a warmed plate. To the same pan, over medium heat, add the cream mixture, tequila and peas. Cook to reduce until thickened I to 2 minutes, Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide among 4 warmed small plates. Place 3 scallops on the sauce on each plate and garnish with a cilantro sprig. Serve at once.
- Recipe and photo courtesy of Karl Petzke and Chronicle Books