Tequila Mussels With Tomatoes & Jalapenos
Cooks in Serves 4
- 1 1/4 lbs mussels, scrubbed & debearded (about 40)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 2 -4 jalapenos or 2 -4 serrano peppers, sliced
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Mix in tomatoes, then next 5 ingredients. Add mussels. Cover and steam until mussels open, about 7 minutes (discard any mussels that do not open). Using slotted spoon, transfer mussels to large bowl. Simmer sauce uncovered until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over mussels and serve.
- Note: I put my veggies in the food processor and chop them up to make quick work of this one!