Tequila White Chicken Chili
Cooks in Serves 12
- 3 limes, juice and zest of
- 1/2 cup tequila
- red pepper flakes
- 3 (16 ounce) cans great dry northern white beans
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies (I used green salsa)
- 1 tablespoon cumin , plus
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper , divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups defatted chicken stock (canned will work all right)
- 3 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- sour cream
- chopped fresh green onion
- diced avocado
- Zest 1 of the limes and sprinkle the lime zest over the chicken breast.
- Squeeze all 3 limes, and pour the juice over the chicken breasts.
- Pour the tequila over the chicken and.
- Sprinkle red pepper flakes over the chicken and marinate for 3 hours.
- Grill the chicken breast for 5 minutes and pour remaining marinade over the chicken breast on the grill.
- Turn the chicken breast and grill the second side for 4 minutes.
- Remove the chicken breast from the grill and cut into small cubes.
- Heat olive oil in stock pot and add onion and saute for about 10 minutes until translucent.
- Add the garlic, green chilis, cumin, cayenne pepper, and cloves and saute for 10 minutes.
- Add beans, chicken,and chicken stock, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with cheese, chopped green onions, avocado, and sour cream.